Sunday, May 15, 2011

Were You Watching?

On April 29, 2011, Prince William married Catherine Middleton.  News outlets have reported that approximately 2 billion people around the world watched the wedding live, and I was one of them.  I woke up at 4:45 AM so I could get myself ready.  I took out the good china teapot and teacups (it was nice to have a reason to use them), put my replica engagement ring on...and got comfy for the event.  I loved watching Prince William and Harry talk to each other, and salute in concert.  And the now Duchess of Cambridge was a vision in her dress.  Babies and weddings people, sometimes, when life is dull and gray, it's a beautiful thing to have something positive to think about.

photo



photo

photo

I loved the live trees in Westminster Abbey, Hubby and I were fortunate enough to see the Abbey in 2003, when we traveled to England.  I loved seeing so many familiar sights during the wedding coverage.

photo

Little Man came down ready for school while I was watching the wedding.  He asked me what I was watching.  I told him I was watching a prince marry his princess.  My sweet son's response?  "Oh, no, I missed the part when he rescued her from the castle and rescued her from the scary dragon," he said.  For now at least, he has proof that fairy tales might actually be possible.  That was probably the sweetest moment for me.

photo

So, after the wedding the plan was for me to shower and head into work.  Instead I got an emergent call from Hubby that I had to take his place on the race track field trip with Little Man's school.  He raced home for a work emergency, and I rushed to make myself presentable.  Then I ran out of the house hoping I would catch the caravan of school buses and other parent cars that were heading to the speedway.  


photo

I got there just in time, and Little Man and I had a fantastic time.  We even drove around the track in vans.  Poor Hubby called me when he could get away thinking we could switch out...and was really sad to hear he had missed it all.  After a lunch in the stands watching practice runs, I brought Little Man home...and THEN headed to work.  It was a long, completely out of the ordinary day!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing...never a dull
moment@ Love that you got out your good china too! Love,as always
Mom

Sinéad said...

Wow. You got up at 4.45 to watch the wedding? That's dedication! Love the replica ring, and Little Man is too cute, missing the dragon & rescue part.