Thursday, March 29, 2007

Recently Finished


In the last few weeks I managed to finish a couple of projects. Above is the knit pig I made for my sister for her birthday. She's now 25 years old, but the piggie theme presents go back a long time with us. We used to share a bedroom as kids and we spent one great night oinking and snorting, imagining the pigs that ran free after the truck that was transporting them had had an accident. Dumb yes, but to me pigs will always represent that great time in life called childhood when the mundane can become hilarious, I doubt I'd laugh for hours about something like that today. (By the way, no pigs were injured during the accident). The pig was an easy knit from the book World of Knitted Toys.



I love this book. I've also made the clownfish for my son and the snake. The clownfish is great if you have a Nemo fan in your house and again the knits in this book are REALLY easy. The projects are classified as either easy, straightforward or challenging with easy projects suitable for beginners. The pig and the snake were labeled easy projects. The clownfish was straightforward because it had decreasing, increasing and color changes. I'll post pictures at some point soon so you can see the fish and snake. I should probably mention that I only started knitting in March of last year so I am in no way shape or form an "experienced" knitter. So, when I tell you it is easy, I mean it.

For my sister I also made this cable-knit purse. I made one for myself back in October after seeing the cable-knit purses from Margaret Nicole featured in InStyle magazine and some other fashion magazines. As you'll soon learn one of my favorite phrases is, "I could do that," so when I saw the whopping $175 price tag I thought there has got to be a way for me to make that purse. And $10 later, I had my purse. My sister, also a new knitter, really appreciated the handmade knit nature of the purse so I made one for her, with cats wearing kimonos fabric as the lining.






I used Thick and Quick yarn, and you can find the pattern at: http://www.yarniverse.com/page.htm?PG=FreePatterns

No comments: