Tuesday, June 12, 2007

2006 Knit Projects

I started the process of learning how to knit on January 28, 2006. My good friend taught me how to cast-on, knit, and purl. I learned how to bind-off, stockinette stitch, alternate between knit and purl stitches within the same row, increase, and decrease and knit circularly from books and the internet. My first project was... this navy blue garter stitch scarf based on the pattern in Debbie Bliss' Baby Knits for Beginners. I followed the pattern but used larger needles (the easier to learn with), and acrylic yarn I already had. I bound off on April 14, 2006, and I was hooked on knitting from then on.

After a test swatch that helped me to learn the mechanics of the stockinette stitch I moved on to the boatneck sweater in Debbie Bliss' Baby Knits for Beginners.

The sweater isn't the greatest you'll ever see, but I tried my hand at seaming (you know already that I only just recently learned how to make an invisible seam), and how to increase. I finished on May 15, 2006, and I put this aside to later give as a Christmas gift with a matching hat.
Here is the matching hat I made from the pattern in Debbie Bliss' Baby Knits for Beginners. I finished this project on May 23, 2006.

This cushion was a pattern from Debbie Bliss' Baby Knits for Beginners. This project was my first rib project.


This sweater I knit up as a Christmas pattern for the big sister of the sky blue sweater recipient. This pattern is the Debbie Bliss' Jacket with Seed Stitch Bands from Baby Knits for Beginners (can you tell I love that book?). This pattern was particularly scary for me because I had to learn how to pick-up stitches and I was afraid I would ruin the sweater after I had worked so hard to make the back and front two pieces. Luckily it came out fine in the end.


Here is the clownfish that I knit up for Thomas' November birthday.
Here is T sitting with it today. It's seen a lot of action (sometimes Nemo is used like a football). The pattern is from World of Knit Toys.

The snake I made for Thomas (that was adopted by nephew since I figured I could make one for Thomas since both the boys loved it) was also made from a pattern in World of Knit Toys. (Oh won't the husband be so impressed with me using him as an unauthorized model!)
The cable clutch I made for myself. It is lined inside with a magnetic closure.

Here is the preemie hat I knit for Caps to the Capital. It felt good knowing an underprivileged baby somewhere might have a better chance at life wearing this little hat.


Here is a pair of booties that I knit up as a small gift for a newborn. I also made a pair in blue for another new arrival. I made both pairs over the holidays while traveling, they are really quick. These were knit from the pattern in Simple Knits for Cherished Babies (the Cashmere Booty pattern, although I didn't use cashmere).

2 comments:

Sereknitty said...

Thanks for stopping by and leaving your blog address! As you can tell, I'm also a Debbie Bliss for babies fan ... so many patterns, so little time! I enjoyed looking at your photos ... your son and hubby are adorable and handsome, respectively :)

Montreal Mama said...

Hey Craft-Chick, send me an email at graphicdesignchick at hotmail dot com so I can respond to your comment, I dont have your email address.