Sunday, July 15, 2007

Seven Years and Learning What a Sweetened Earthworm Would Taste Like

I bet that title has got you wondering...doesn't it? Unless you are my mother you don't know the story yet, and you'll just have to wait to find out how I found out how a sweetened earthworm tastes.

July 15, 2000

Today my husband and I celebrated our seventh wedding anniversary. Seven years ago we were married at Washington Presbyterian Church in what will always be one of the best days of my life. I say it was one of the best days of my life for two reasons. The first obvious reason is that for regular people like me I'll never again experience the outpouring of love, the fussing over my hair, nails and make-up... I'll never eat such good food perfectly selected for my day, surrounded by the people I loved most. I'll never have that perfect slow-dance, then get down with my sister singing, my brother toasting me, my parents smiling on me...I'll never have that again...a perfect moment that lasted an entire day. We spent months planning, me learning things about weddings as I planned, creating things to save money and to have the things I wanted. But for all the planning I wasn't ready for the bigger second reason why that day was one of the best days of my life. Maybe as I was getting ready to walk down the aisle and had the moment of panic it was hitting me...but it's taken the years since for the reason to really become clear in my mind.

The second reason that day was so beautiful is deeper, not superficial. That day was beautiful because it has been the binding that has kept us together even when times have been hard. The beacon that keeps us from running. Even when I'm angry I know that I wouldn't want to be anywhere if he wasn't with me. That's scary, it's powerful, but it's true. I've had my doubts over the years, but when I think of not being with him I feel suffocated. He's my best friend. He understands me better than I understand myself. And I love that our wedding photo can act as a reminder to us that we are in this commitment together. (That's not as eloquent as I would have liked, but to avoid getting too mushy, that will suffice).

So, how did we celebrate our 7th anniversary? We hired a babysitter and...went to lunch and the movies. And did we see some sexy romance? NO! We went and saw the 5th Harry Potter movie. And it was great! Not the best of all of them, but I was so happy that we went. One of my favorite parts was watching the broom flying scenes over London. That's all I'll spill of the movie plot! We cuddled and jumped at the scary portions, and for a real theme event I picked up Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Beans (which have traditional jelly bean flavors and icky ones like vomit, soap, vomit, earwax, etc.). Beforehand I told Hubby I was nervous to try them afraid of how they would taste. I was so tempted to do some internet sleuthing to find out if I was going to really be tasting vomit. But I held out after Hubby said of course they can't taste like vomit, who would buy them. Famous last words of a naive man. If people can sell Britney Spears' chewed gum, they can sell vomit flavored jelly beans. AND THEY DO! I had a bubblegum flavored one first and then EARTHWORM...YUCK!!! And as Hubby was gloating because he had had buttered popcorn, he popped in...VOMIT!!! Oh my goodness. There we were gagging in the darkness trying to get the taste out but the remains were stuck in our teeth and every time we tried to get the remnants out it just reactivated the taste. Hubby said the people sitting in front of us didn't have any clue how close they come to wearing our spit out jelly beans (we used napkins). So now we have a bag of jelly beans left that neither one of us will dare to eat, and the moral of the story? If we offer you jelly beans in the next few months, don't eat them! I think this will be a great test to see who is reading my blog amongst my friends...insert evil cackle here! Joking! That's about it for our anniversary celebration except that true to the craziness of my life I ended our date night with not a romantic scene with my husband, but with food poisoning. Man, he must really love me! Ditto baby!

No comments: