Thursday, July 12, 2007

The Much-Anticipated Finale

On Wednesday morning after breakfast we headed back to the Hereford Inlet Lighthouse so that Little Man could climb it (he was disappointed when we couldn't go inside because they were closed the previous evening). After a successful climb to the top (only four flights of stairs, you may remember from the photo that this lighthouse is not tall), Little Man enjoyed the view, and we picked him up an iron-on badge.

After our lighthouse visit we spent the day at the beach, relaxed (after all that is what vacation is for), and napped. Then we all got ready to go to dinner and decided on something a little more fun. We headed to the Pink Cadillac Diner and had burgers (and I had a yummy root beer float), and then we goofed around taking photos outside.


Little Man Posing




Hubby and Mom Posing

Pop and Me Posing


After dinner, with our bellies REALLY full, we drove to Cape May so we could see sunset at Sunset Beach. Sunset Beach is known for three main things: the sunsets obviously (check out the link to see some better photos), the concrete ship Atlantus, and Cape May Diamonds. Cape May Diamonds are quartz crystals that can be polished and cut to look like diamonds and you can find them easily on the beach.

The concrete ship Atlantus was built as a prototype in 1917 that turned out to be
too slow for voyages and it was to be purposely sunk to act as support for a
roadway. On the way to its final destination it became stuck on a sandbar and
it has remained there. Today it's silhouette is difficult to see as a result of
time and the sea, but the photo below from 1955 really shows the
ship well.







The weather didn't cooperate with us seeing a phenomenal sunset,
but the sky was still pretty.


After Sunset Beach we headed to Duffer's for ice cream and then went back to our rooms to enjoy our cold treats. Afterwards Hubby and I read our beach reads, and then turned in for the evening.
The next day (Thursday) we went back to Cape May so that Little Man could climb another lighthouse. This lighthouse is no joke to climb...199 steps. I've now done the climb 3 times, and Little Man conquered his 3rd lighthouse (he takes after his grandma...she does have a lighthouse ROOM you know).
Little Man at the top of the Cape May Point Lighthouse



Little Man and Hubby
Thursday evening Hubby, Little Man and myself headed to the Boardwalk by ourselves so I could head to a fortune teller (I like to do it once a year as a goofy thing I enjoy) and so we could pick up funnel cake and ice cream and walk around. Some highlights of the tarot reading: someone in my family has recently separated from their spouse (true), I've been with my spouse over 8 years (true) and I understand him better than he understands me (true, but then he is a man), my current frustrations are out of my control, I need to wait it out (not cool), I tend to get too involved in family drama (true), and...the big one, someone in my immediate family is pregnant or will be pregnant this year (UH...Little Brother? Doozer? Y'all got something to say? Just kidding! Mom don't have a heart attack!) Anyway, the reading was fun
and the funnel cake that followed it was great!

On Friday we checked-out, had breakfast and headed for home. We had pizza at the folks' house, talked about our trip, and watched 'The Pursuit of Happyness' with Will Smith (that is how the title is spelled, it is not a typo). We enjoyed a very laid back rest of the day, and rested up for Saturday when we headed to Villanova to meet up with my good friend for brunch. We had a great time, ate some great food, and then headed to Ikea (Love, love, love Ikea). Afterwards we headed back to Reading (my hometown), and mom and I went shopping at Jo-Ann Fabrics, then we ate dinner, sat on the porch talking and being nosy, and then Hubby and I went up and worked on packing.
Sunday we ate waffles, packed up the car, said good-bye to my folks and my brother and nephew who came to see us off, and got on the road for the LONG trip home. It was sad, as it always is, but it's fun to look at the photos, relive the memories, and be glad we were able to get together for our beach vacation.

No comments: