Monday, May 25, 2009

My First Week Back

So I've been back a week now, and I go back to work tomorrow. Originally I was scheduled to go back to work last Tuesday, but due to technical difficulties with the client, the work kept being pushed back and pushed by day, until it was decided that the new casework would start tomorrow. Apparently enough people weren't interested in working over the holiday for no extra compensation...shocking!

With the "extra" time at home I watched television, finished some projects to "clear the decks" so to speak, cleaned, did laundry, cooked, and started the arduous task of getting back on track with my scrapbooking. I am currently three YEARS behind, so, I think it's about time I get on that, don't you? Someone was shocked to hear how behind I am, and I pointed out the coincidence between how far behind my albums are and the start of my knitting. I learned how to knit three years it's not heard to see where my scrapbooking time has gone. But, I really need to catch up, otherwise I fear I never will.

So I won't be taking on as many knitting projects (if I can hold myself back) until I catch up. I will be working on the February Lady Sweater starting this week, and I have finished some other projects.

I made this Pinwheel Blanket for Little Man to use for cuddling at the beach spot. The marble yarn I had leftover from other projects, and I used one skein of Vanna White yarn for the seed stitch border.

I made this yoga mat bag with a cone of yarn I picked up from someone who didn't want it. The original pattern was knit flat, but I crocheted a bottom, and picked up knit stitches around it to knit the bag circularly...I was very happy with how it came out.

I also finished up a comfy pair of Pleated Ballet Flats. I still haven't decided whether I'm going to use puffy paint on the bottoms to make them skid-proof, but I've been wearing them until I decide!

And last night, actually...early this morning, I finished this little 12-month size sweater that I made with yarn I inherited from someone else once they were finished with it. It came out a little different than I originally envisioned, but it should keep a little person somewhere warm. And I learned after knitting it and the beach spot afghan that I would prefer not to knit with Homespun yarn from Lion Brand again....definitely not my kind of yarn (although it is fabulously soft).
But even with all of the crafting, planning and chores, I thoroughly enjoyed spending time with Little Man and Hubby.

Little Man and I got to spend time together right away on Monday when I took him to the pediatric dentist. He loves going to the dentist, and the experience for him is a lot cooler than what I remember as a kid. They're in the process of remodeling now so that there will be television screens on the ceiling and kids will be able to play video games while having fillings and the like done. Wow... I took him to school after his dentist appointment, but we were able to play later, and it was nice hearing about his day.

And I had Hubby's Father's Day present delivered early so he'll have it for the next trip to the beach spot...a gas grill to leave at the beach spot. He and I also were able to have lunch out one day that he worked from home at the Hibachi Grill.

And on Saturday, I took Little Man to his swim class where I cheered him on. It's amazing to watch him swim! After we left I had planned to take him to the playground I took him to when he was little and he and I were home together...but the rainy weather bypassed that plan so we went straight to Carolina Smoothies and got smoothies like we used to do. It was so nice to be out just the two of us, I've really missed the time we used to have together. After getting our smoothies we went to Barnes and Noble where he played with the train table and I read him a Scooby-Doo book. Then we headed home for lunch and nap time.

Later that evening all three of us headed to the movies to see Earth The movie follows a polar bear family, a humpback whale mother and calf, and an elephant mother and calf, amongst other awe-inspiring footage. It was a beautiful movie. Definitely capped the evening off on a good note.
The rest of the weekend was pretty dull. The weather here was rainy, so even though the pools technically opened this weekend, we weren't able to go to them. We spent most of the time indoors playing games and occupying ourselves, except when we went to our neighbors two houses up who had a cook-out that turned into a cook-in because of the torrential downpour.
And now tomorrow I head back to work, and hopefully manage to cast-on for my gauge swatch for my February Lady Sweater...basically just still trying to get back into the swing of things!


Connie said...

Wow, you have gotten a lot done lately. Love the blanket for Little Man. That marble yarn is great! Also, love the last did so much with your friend and looks like you had a blast!

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the new job! I sure am glad that you had some time with Little Man...after missing him like you did. I start outpt. PT Thursday am! Hope the sweater is a fun project for you.Love,as always, Mom

Sinéad said...

Love your pinwheel blanket. I bet Little Man will be really snuggly at the beach in it. I really must cast on for one myself, I do love the pattern.
Hope your first day back at work was good!
I'm looking forward to seeing your February Lady Sweater, I'm just starting the first sleeve of mine. It's a great knit.