Monday, April 11, 2011

The Ultimate Book of Baby Knits by Debbie Bliss

The ultimate baby knitwear designer, Debbie Bliss, has just released her newest book, "The Ultimate Book of Baby Knits."  Debbie has chosen 50 of her favorite patterns from her last three baby books (Simply Baby, Essential Baby, and Blankets, Bears and Bootees) and given us a whopping book that has something for everyone.  Add to that beautiful photography and precious babies who are often photographed playing with yarn, and this book is a must-have for knitters everywhere.

The book begins with an introduction by Ms. Bliss, and then there is a section that goes over basic skills used throughout the book.  Projects using duplicate stitching, intarsia, and circular knitting are found in this book, as well as other techniques, and the baby-size projects would be great to use for practicing a new technique.  Debbie's simple directions, accompanied by instructional photographs at the beginning of the book, make newer techniques easy to master (she uses the same approach in many of her books, and I have found it to be a great way to learn).

After looking over care instructions for your finished projects, you get to the fun stuff...the patterns!!!  And, with 50 patterns, there is plenty to see!  I wanted to share with you some projects that really blew me away, and I focused on four different types.

photo

First, there are tons of gorgeous, classic designs that you can knit today, or twenty years from now.  These projects, like the cable sweater above, will always look current.  A baby shrug, a duffel coat, and a classic cardigan are all examples of projects that have a timeless appeal.


photo

If you need a quick knit for a last minute gift, or something simple that you knit up in your spare moments, there are quite a few interesting projects perfect for that too.  Building blocks, or cable socks are sweet little knits.

photo

And wouldn't a mother-to-be love to unwrap a matching striped cardigan and bootie set? (And couldn't you just pinch those cute little cheeks of the baby in the photo!)

photo


If you have more time on your hands, or want to knit up a beautiful heirloom for a grandchild, there are quite a few showstoppers.  My favorite two would have to be the matinee coat, shown here in a very modern teal color...

photo


...and a gorgeous sampler blanket that can be personalized last minute with duplicate stitching. Work on the blanket ahead of time, and then stitch on initials and a date after the little one arrives!
photo


And last, but certainly not least, are the projects that made me look at my stash right away to see what I could cast-on for. 


photo

I love, love, love this hooded carrying bag!

photo

And this smock coat is so precious (as is a matching beret).

photo

The pinafore dress is so cute I almost want to knit it for myself!


photo

And if I ever have an addition to the family, I MUST make this beautiful set!  The alternating colors of garter stitch rows appear in the blanket, and the dress of the toy...and make such a sweet, yet sophisticated set.  And doesn't the mouse look soft enough to cuddle!

And, the project I will turn to next time I have a baby shower to create a gift for...this beyond precious box of booties! 
photo

Beautiful, timeless designs, sophisticated color palettes and well-written patterns are all characteristics that I have noticed of Debbie Bliss' baby patterns.  This solid book, stuffed full with 50 patterns, is not only a great deal, but it is also a great investment for your knitting library.  I know I will turn to it again and again, coming across new favorites each time I turn the page.

2 comments:

Sinéad said...

Great book review! I loved the patterns you showed, especially the baby bag and the pinafore dress. Really cute.

Anonymous said...

Make no promises you cannot keep.