Sunday, June 23, 2013

Crazy Bleaching!

It was quite a while ago that I saw some t-shirts on Pinterest that I knew I had to try.  I loved the Superman spin and decided I'd make a Batman and Superman for my superhero loving brother.  It wasn't until recently that I actually got everything together and gave it a try.  Wow, was it trickier than it was made out to be.  I had wax paper but needed parchment paper, which was annoying when I just wanted to get right to it. I had already cut out the emblems with my cutter, then used them for templates to cut the paper...and tried to iron them on but it didn't work.  So AFTER I got the right paper and got the designs ironed on they still didn't provide the complete barrier that the instructions implied would happen...but that wasn't obvious until AFTER I sprayed the bleach with a spray bottle and I could see the bleach start bleeding together....until there was a great big orange bleach-stinky splotch right in the dang middle of the t-shirt...BOOO!  Yeah, that was a no-go. In fact I wound up bleaching the whole thing and I'll use that hot mess project when I'm gardening...or something.





The next attempt I used a paper towel and gently blotted bleach around the template that had been ironed on...at last I had made a wearable one!  Hubby has very happily worn his t-shirt and has requested some other designs too.



I still want to make my brother a Batman t-shirt, but I only had the three shirts that I had bought on sale.  And I still wanted to try a different method with the bleach...so I went straight for the Superman.  Using a bleach gel pen I ironed on the template and then used the pen...and this is what I got...hot, isn't it?



Just goes to show...Pinterest projects aren't always as simple as they look!








2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yo..i just bought a hand held sewing machine and i cant figure it out..thanks alot Pinterest..im trying to do three different projects with it, and cant..Le sigh

-Doozer

xonkman said...

I love the Batman shirt! So freaking cool! I want to try it, but I think I'm going to learn from your trials and on top of it use gel bleach for more control. One of the other bloggers had a recipe for gel bleach at http://www.meandmydiy.com/2013/01/laundry-tip-how-to-safely-make-your-own-bleach-gel.html.

Thanks for the tips!