Saturday, July 1, 2017

Amsterdam!

The great thing about staying in Noordwijk was that we were less than an hour away from Amsterdam so we were able to go there for a day. I had been there years before with my host family but didn't remember much and was excited to see more of the city.

We drove to a Park and Ride and then took a streetcar into the city.




Above is the main train station.



Not far from the train station we came across a silly photo op outside a souvenir shop.






Amsterdam is famous for its canals and we saw lots of them while we walked around the city.




We even enjoyed lunch sitting by a canal...and I had a Heineken...I figured I should have one where its made!


We quickly saw the Red Light District. Down this alleyway are little closets with windows where women stand/dance around and try to get customers.


In the Red Light District there is a statue called 'Belle' which represents sex-workers around the world.


Little Man was looking forward to a canal-boat ride, and it was a great way to take a break from all the walking we had already done.








After the canal-boat we headed to the Anne Frank House where we took a tour and walked through the museum.

Afterwards we walked our weary selves back to the train station and made our way to the car and back to Noordwijk.  


We enjoyed the view of the sun setting over the water while eating fish and chips...it was a great way to end the day!




The next morning after we checked out I took some photos of the famous dunes of Noordwijk Aan Zee.. look how high they are!



I also took a photo of some of the thatched roofs...gorgeous!


Then we stopped at Middyne, which is the bed and breakfast that I stayed at with my host family back in 1994. It used to belong to the aunt of my host father, but after she passed it was sold. It made me sad to see it in disrepair, but I had fun telling Hubby and Little Man about it!


And then, after some photos of windmills on the way out of Noordwijk we were on our way back to Warstein...


...which was good because Little Man was pooped!

No comments: