Monday, November 25, 2013

My Own Little Titanic Theme Night

Way back in 2011 I received a Titanic Sock Yarn Cinema shipment.  When I received it I instantly thought I would make a shawl.  Fast forward to 2013 and I have more shawls than what I really use...and I have sock yarn I want to actually use, and see! So, on a slipper-sock roll, I decided that yes, I would make some little slippers for around the house that I can see and use often. I had some projects I wanted to finish before I started them (like that Ocean Waves Lizard Ridge) so I looked forward to knitting them at some point, but didn't cast-on. 

Then in August, we learned my aunt in Florida was ill and we went to see her at home before she passed.  She liked the movie Titanic too, and when my mother, sister and I were able to choose items of hers to remember her, I chose the Heart of the Ocean necklace.  I decided that it would be perfect to wear it and have a Titanic theme night...because I love a theme. And I thought maybe if my aunt was looking down, she'd be happy I was thinking of her, and that her necklace found a happy home with me.

 After the titanic undertaking of the lizard ridge was behind me...next up was the Titanic night...and I did it up right y'all. Hubby said I was cute sitting and knitting wearing my necklace (I didn't have him take a photo though...I wasn't wearing an evening gown).

 

Midway through the movie I stopped for some mini quiche and sparkling wine (I told you I did it up right!)

 

By the end of the night I had half of the first slipper done. I had such a good time..sitting, knitting, and sipping...while wearing a very substantial necklace.


By the end of the week I had two perfectly knit, perfectly fitting slippers.

I used the Ripple Sockie pattern and the only thing I changed was that, not having a size 1.5 needle, I used a size 2 but made the small size.  Because you can customize at the toe area (knitting until you have 2" before the end of your foot before decreasing) this approach worked perfectly.  I love the shaping, the fit is great (I like mine to fit snug) and I'm so happy with them I'm thinking I may have to make them in another color :)

2 comments:

Knit and Purl Mama said...

Those slippers are super cute!

Knit and Purl Mama said...

I dont have your email address anymore, I can't find it. Please email me at knitpurlmama at gmail dot com - thanks! :)