Tuesday, November 23, 2010

The (Finally Completed) Puppet Theater

For the longest time Little Man wanted a puppet theater.  I had an idea of what I wanted to do...(see my eariler post here), but it took a while to implement it.  Too long a while.  Because the actual making of the theater, after getting the components together, well, it wasn't really rocket science.  As you can see it is set inside a door frame, and it is easy to put up and take down.  It also rolls up for storage.  The main piece is blue felt-by-the-yard with casings sewn at the top and the bottom.  Tension dowels are in the casings, and then two more are used at the opening, one to hold the red fabric curtains, and the other to support the opening.  To prevent any gaps at the sides, the theater was made wider than necessary and the fabric is held in place with the dowels.  Little Man wanted his name on it (which I edited out of the photos) and he also wanted some stickers on it, so I let him have at it.







We added to the puppet character stash with some quickie stick puppets.  These are just pre-painted wooden shapes glued onto pre-painted wooden dowels.  Some hot glue and 5 minutes and they were all done.  (If you're looking for actual hand puppets, IKEA has some reasonably priced ones).

1 comment:

Sinéad said...

Coolest puppet theatre ever! I wish I could have had one of these when I was small, I used to love playing with my puppets. I bet Little Man LOVES it!